Legwarmers could be the most wanted item in your wardrobe, especially during the January blues. I love to snuggle up on the sofa with my book, cuddly blanket and the cup of hot brew. I can tell you for certain, Lounge-wear legwarmers are my must-have items of clothing to take my pleasure to the next level. Make a pair for yourself! You won’t regret it!
I have made mine with the organic wool from Gathernor.com. This wool is
I used about 100g of different colours and breeds of 100% Certified Organic Undyed, Unbleached British Pure New Wool, 5 mm (US 8) circular needles ( you can use straight needles if you prefer) and a sewing needle.
Tension for stocking stitch
10 cm x 10 cm (4 in x 4 in) = 15 ST x 25 R
How to knit
- With the pair of #5 straight needles cast on 42 ST.
- Work 1×1 rib (1 knit, 1 purl) 6 cm/2.5 in – about 14 rows.
For the left legwarmer:
- 3 knit, 17
purl, 4 knit, 1 purl, 3 knit, 1 purl, 4 knit, 1 purl, 3 knit, 1 purl, 3 knit (total 42 stitches).
- On the wrong side rows, work follows the pattern.
- 3 knit, 17 purl, 4 knit, * 1 purl, make 3 stitches out of 3 stitches (insert needle between 2nd and 3rd stitches and make a stitch by pulling out the yarn to the right side of your work, make second stitch by wrapping yarn from the wrong side of the work over the needle, knit 3 stitches on the left needle together), 1 purl, 2 x 2 cable knit (every 4 rows), 1 purl, (insert needle between 2nd and 3rd stitch and pull out the yarn, yarn over the needle, knit 3 stitches together), 1 purl, 3 knit *.
- Every 4 cm make an increase by 2 stitches: 3 knit, 1 increase, 17
purl, 1 increase, 4 knit, repeat pattern between ** from paragraph #3.
- Work by instruction in paragraphs #2,3 and 4 until you reach 30 cm ( 12 inches) from start. You should have now 52 stitches in total.
- Work in 1 x 1 rib about 6-7 cm ( 2.5 -3 inches).
- Cast off loosely in ribbing.
For the right legwarmer:
Repeat the pattern only in the mirror view.
The first row after the bottom rib will look like that: 3 knit, 1 purl, 3 knit, 1 purl, 4 knit, 1 purl, 3 knit, 1 purl, 4 knit, 19
Assembly and Finishing
- Fold knitted pieces in half the right side out.
- Take your sewing needle and using the vertical invisible seam technique, sew together the edges.
- Weave in the loose ends and repeat #1,2 and 3 for the second legwarmer.
Stay warm and snug with your new lounge-wear legwarmers.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me here.
No time to knit? I have one extra pair in my Etsy shop. Check it out here.